|Number of Participants||Facilitators||Category||Duration||Level of Difficulty|
|1 or More||1 Moderator||Empathize Phase||20-60min||Simple|
A User interview is a guided conversation to collect qualitative data from participants. Participants may be previous, current, or desired future users of your product or service. There are 3 main types of User Interviews:
- Structured (formal) Schedule of questions, strict order and wording
- Semistructured Guide of questions, key points/topics
- Unstructured (informal conversation) Guide of broad themes
- Interview Guide
- Audio/Video recording device
- Pen & Paper for note taking
- Video Conferencing software (remote interviews)
- Establish a research goal
- Identify and recruit participants
- Develop an interview guide
- List key topics and main questions
- Revise interview guide with feedback from team members
- Choose an appropriate environment
- Assign roles (e.g. Interviewer, Notetaker)
- Establish rapport: sit face to face, ensure comfort, build trust and security, show interest in story, do not show judgement.
- Introduce researchers and study, why participant was chosen, interview procedure, address privacy issues, request consent for interview and recordings.
- Set and follow a time limit
- Ask question and use prompts and follow up questions to dig deeper.
- Before concluding interview, ask the participant if they have anything additional to say, and/or if they have any questions of their own.
Remarks, Tips, Limitations
- Ask open questions
- Ask follow up questions
- Search for stories
- Ask about their perception
- Leave room for silence
- Do not intimidate the interviewee
- Do not ask leading questions
- Do not ask for future predictions
Book: Interviewing Users by Steve Portigal: https://rosenfeldmedia.com/books/interviewing-users/
Article: Get better data from user studies: 16 interviewing tips https://library.gv.com/get-btter-data-from-user-studies-16-interviewing-Cps-328d305c3e37
Video (22 min): Yale University – Fundamentals of Qualitative Research Methods: Interviews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PhcglOGFg8
Contributed by Andrejs Pantelejevs and Roberto De Oliveira.